Padiham 1, Flixton 1

editorial image

PADIHAM brought the curtain down on an indifferent season in the Premier Division of the North West Counties Football League with a 1-1 home draw at the Arbories against Flixton.

A bitterly cold wind made it feel like the middle of winter rather than the start of summer and with the elements in the Storks favour, the home side created the better of what few chances were produced.

However it was Flixton’s Patrick McFadden who had the first strike in anger when he sent a shot just wide of the Storks’ upright on 15 minutes.

Padiham went close in their next attack when Martin Parke headed wide and on the half-hour mark Nathan Egan failed to to complete the move of the first half when he too sent his effort wide following good approach play by Shaun Carey.

Stuart Telfer had a well struck volley saved by Flixton keeper James Jowsey on 33 minutes while at the other end McFadden took too many touches when through one-on-one with Davis allowing the Padiham keeper to come out on top with a save low down to leave the opening 45 minutes goalless.

The second half had only been going seven minutes before the visitors took the lead from what can only be described as a goal-keeping blunder.

A long range shot from midfield by Andrew Keogh had no threat about it when Storks keeper Sean Davis came out to launch it back down field, but when Davis failed to make contact with the ball it continued goalwards and ended up in the unguarded net before Davis could scramble back to clear his lines.

Fortunately Padiham did not take long to get back on level terms, doing so on 60 minutes when Jamie Traenor let fly with a cracking shot that whistled past visiting keeper Jowsey to make it 1-1.

Padiham introduced two of their youth team players, Joel Melia and Jack Houlker with 25 minutes to play and even manager Craig Chadwick made an appearance on 78 minutes as both teams settled for a point apiece from the game.

Padiham Reserves also included a number of youth team players for their away trip to Wigan Robin park Reserves, but lost 1-0 after missing a number of good chances themselves to have taken the lead.

They have one league game remaining away to Ashton Town Reserves next Saturday, but tonight take on Silsden Reserves in the final of this season’s North West Counties Football League Reserve Division Cup competition at the Arbories. Kick-off is 7-45 p.m.

Admission is adults £3 and concession £1.50.