No change of fortune as Padiham suffer setback at Throstle Nest

No luck: Storks boss Steve Wilkes
No luck: Storks boss Steve Wilkes

Padiham’s first ever visit to Farsley AFC’s Throstle Nest ground in the Northern Premier League on Tuesday night didn’t bring any change of fortunes for the Storks although the scoreline did flatter the home side somewhat.

Both sides had early chances with Farsley’s Lee Ellington sending a header over the bar in the opening minute while at the other end Ashley Carter headed a chance wide when a Ryan Brereton cross found the Storks’ new signing unmarked at the back post just minutes later.

Kieron Pickup tried to lob home keeper Ben Higginson from distance on five minutes but the effort was just too high and went over the cross bar and on 10 minutes, Carter was again found himself with a chance to give Padiham the lead, however his shot from the edge of the 18 yard box flew across the face of Farsley’s goal and out safely.

Padiham fell behind on 16 minutes after the Storks allowed a goal line cross to reach the near post and Padiham keeper Marcus Burgess failed to control the ball allowing Matty James to bundle the ball in.

The home side nearly doubled their lead six minutes later when Matt Dempsey curled a shot inches wide of the Padiham post and response Padiham then produced their best spell of first half pressure which nearly resulted in an equaliser.

Ben Allen’s through ball released Brereton and his shot was tipped around the post by Higginson. This led to a series of three corners from the Storks and a Pickup header being cleared off the line. Carter produced a run and shot which Higginson again saved at full stretch and Allen headed a cross just wide.

In the run up to half time Farsley regained the upper hand but were unable to find the break through.

Padiham started the second half lively but when Dean Overson headed a Tom Bradley free-kick wide from close range it was beginning to look like once again the luck was not with the Storks. A point clearly highlighted on 55 minutes when a Josh Grant shot took a wicked deflection of Jack Cook leaving Burgess wrong footed and the ball in the back of the net.

Padiham’s efforts to get a foothold in the game ended in a five minute spell between the 65th and 70th minute as the Storks had no less than three efforts on goal cleared off the line and then saw Farsley win possession to break away and score themselves when another Grant shot took a deflection before finding its way into the net.

Padiham never gave up with Pickup hitting the home side’s post on 82 minutes, Tom Bradley hitting a shot inches wide on 84 minutes and Max Jones scoring with one minute left after Pickup’s initial shot was saved by Higginson.

Farsley scored their fourth goal with virtually the last kick of the game when deep into added on time Padiham’s defence was asleep for a quickly taken throw-in and Grant was able to complete his hat-trick.

Padiham are at home to Bamber Bridge tomorrow at 3pm.