Luckless Padiham slump to 12th defeat on the spin at Ossett Town

Double blast: But Brett Ormerod was denied a hat-trick at Mossley from the spot
Double blast: But Brett Ormerod was denied a hat-trick at Mossley from the spot
Share this article

Two more defeats over the turn of the year made it 12 on the spin for Padiham.

On Saturday the Storks lost 1-0 at Ossett Town, having seen a 2-0 lead turn into a 3-2 reverse at Mossley on New Year’s Day.

At Ossett, early action at the wrong end of the pitch needed Storks keeper Sean Davis to be at his best to keep out efforts from Danny Chambers and Chris Ovington.

While at the right end, Ben Allen crashed a screamer of a shot against the inside of the post on 17 minutes, and from the rebound, Bobby Langfords effort was turned away for a corner by home keeper Brad Dixon.

Scott Byrom curled a free kick just over from the edge of the box on 35 minutes, but minutes later the Storks needed Sean Davis to make a double save to prevent Ossett taking the lead.

The deadlock was broken, however, three minutes into added on time at the end of the first half when a foul by Mark Sharples gave Ossett a free kick on the edge of the box, and home captain Steven Jeff the chance to curl a well-taken shot right into the top corner of the net.

Both sides huffed and puffed their way through the second half, and while Davis was good enough to keep out any Ossett attempt on his goal, the Storks forwards failed to make the needed breakthrough at the other end, with Allen heading a great chance wide from a Langford cross on 70 minutes.

Padiham’s New Years Day performance at a storm-ravaged Seel Park ground against Mossley deserved much better than to go down to another defeat, and one wonders when lady luck will change for the Storks.

Playing with a strong wind and driving wind in their favour during the first half, Padiham led 1-0 at half-time after Allen paved the way for Brett Ormerod to put the Storks ahead on 41 minutes.

Ormerod doubled Padiham’s lead seven minutes into the second half, despite the weather conditions worsening, and fears of an abandonment looming, when the experienced Storks striker ran onto a threaded through ball and cleverly chipped Mossley keeper Andrew Farrimond.

The home side hit back on 57 minutes when Kyle McGonogle smashed in an free kick from the edge of the box to reduce the deficit to one goal, and Mossley drew level on 69 minutes through Sam Robinson.

Padiham had a great chance to retake the lead, and Ormerod an opportunity to grab a hat-trick, when the Storks were awarded a penalty for a foul on Allen with just under quarter of an hour to go.

But the deteriorating under foot conditions meant Ormerod’s spot kick lacked the power to beat Farrimond, and the home keeper’s save kept Mossley in the game.

A let off the home side made the most of, when on 80 minutes Robinson grabbed his second of the afternoon, heading in a left-sided cross to give Mossley a 3-2 lead.

Padiham keeper Marcus Burgess prevented the home side from increasing their lead when he also saved a penalty, this time keeping out a Doug Carroll spot kick with just minutes to go, in what proved to be an outstanding game played in the worst weather conditions possible.

Padiham have no midweek fixture before taking on league leaders Darlington at the Arbories Memorial Sports Grounds YESSS Electrical Arena on Saturday, kick-off 3 p.m.