Hayton snatches a late winner against leaders

Burnley celebrate victory over league leaders Blackpool Wren Rovers
Burnley celebrate victory over league leaders Blackpool Wren Rovers
Share this article

An outstanding team performance propelled Burnley Ladies to a thrilling 3-2 victory over league leaders, Blackpool Wren Rovers, and an impressive double over the highflying seasiders.

The lady Clarets almost gained the lead within three minutes, pacey winger Becca Sidley dispossessing the defender only to be thwarted by the keeper.

At the other end, Burnley’s young stopper Jodie Mountain produced a smart save to repel a 20-yard free kick.

A superb pass by central midfielder Jo Rohman set Becky Hayton free and the striker rounded the keeper but her shot, from a tight angle, struck the side-netting.

Blackpool opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when a fluid counterattack drew another save from Mountain, only for the rebound to fall at the feet of the striker.

The league leaders were in the ascendancy and only Mountain, diving high to her left, prevented Blackpool from doubling their advantage.

A penetrating run down the right by star performer Sidley caused panic in the Blackpool defence, and shots from Justine Wallace and Hayton were blocked on the line.

Against the run of play, Blackpool scored their second goal on the stroke of half-time.

The lady Clarets regrouped and delivered a devastating second half performance.

In the 50th minute Sidley’s perseverance created a chance for Hayton who hit the net with a low drive from 18 yards.

Burnley were now dominating possession. On the occasions that Blackpool counterattacked, skipper Jo Holt and stylish full back Mollie Farrell protected their goal with timely interceptions.

Em Forrest threaded a precise pass to Sidley who arrowed a superb cross into the box that appeared to strike the defender’s hand.

The clearance found Forrest who struck a looping volley from 25 yards that rattled the crossbar.

But Forrest scored a sublime equaliser in the 80th minute, feigning to shoot with her right before powering a left foot shot into the top corner of the net.

Within 90 seconds of the kick-off, Burnley were ahead, the tireless Sidley seeing her shot partially saved, with Hayton on hand to bag the winner.