Glossop North End 0, Padiham 0

Martin Parkes
Martin Parkes
Share this article

IN a game that had everything except goals, Padiham left Glossop’s Surrey Street ground disappointed not to have taken all three points.

The Storks dominated the second half, hitting the b ar twice and creating enough openings that, on another day, would have seen them come away with a fully-deserved victory.

The first half started in lively fashion with Storks full back Jonathan Lea coming to the rescue with a well-timed tackle on Adam Oaks after he raced away straight from the kick-off.

Jordan Hulme sent a free kick just over the Glossop bar just after, and on 12 minutes, Elliott Alexander headed a left-wing cross straight at Padiham keeper Sean Davis.

The Storks then had a long period of sustained possession, without creating any real openings, while at the other end, Oaks shot over from long range.

Just after the half hour, the move of the game produced the save of the match when Robert Hartshorne broke down the left and cross for Oaks to volley towards goal.

It looked a certain goal, but Davis somehow stuck out his trailing arm and deflected the ball over the bar.

Damien Morrison had a long-range effort saved by Joseph Boyce just before the interval, but at half-time the game remained goal-less, with all talk during the break about Davis’ stunning save.

The second half produced an even more enjoyable 45 minutes of action, with Glossop keeper Boyle saving well from Hulme on 52 minutes, and Morrison sending a shot inches wide of the post following a well-worked Padiham move.

Paul Walker cleared off the Padiham goalline following a header from a Glossop corner on 55 minutes, and in another North End attack, Martin Parkes did well to clear for another home corner.

Padiham began to dominate once again, with Shaun Carey testing the home keeper with a well-placed free kicik just after the hour, and a minute later Hulme sent in a shot that whistled the wrong side of the upright.

Andy Haworth had a header cleared off the Glossop goal line following a corner, before Walker went even closer with a shot against the bar.

Padiham’s attempts to win the game became frustrating as efforts from Hulme, Andy Sensale and Dominic Slaven all took deflections past the upright for corners, and then with just four minutes remaining, a break and shot from Morrison looked odds on to break the deadlock, until Boyle somehow tipped the effort over to deny Padiham the win their second half performance deserved.

Padiham are back in action on Wednesday night at home to Squires Gate, kick-off 7-45 p.m.

Padiham Reserves 3, Cheadle Town 1

PADIHAM Reserves opened their points account for the season with a home win over Cheadle on Saturday at the Arbories.

Josh Ripley gave the visitors an early warning as he went close with a header that crashed against the bar.

But Michael Taylor then set up Marc Beckett to give the Storks the lead from close range.

Wesley Hensby added a second, before a long range effort from Ripley completed the first half scoring, giving Padiham a 3-0 interval lead.

The second half proved a disappointment as Padiham eased off, allowing Cheadle to grab a goal back before the final whistle.

• PADIHAM A recorded their first win of the season, beating Clitheroe RBL 4-2.