Deadly goal-getting duo help fire Padiham to hard fought league victory

On target: Kieron Pickup in action.
On target: Kieron Pickup in action.

Padiham picked up a hard fought victory over Kendal Town after goals from Kieron Pickup and Ben Allen helped them to a 2-1 win.

It was the visitors who had the better of the opening exchanges though keeping Storks keeper Ben Proctor busy right from the kick off as Kendal forward Maison McGeehan engaged in a personal battle with the Padiham shot stopper.

McGeeghan looked lively early on testing Proctor on two minutes, 14 minutes and 22 minutes with efforts that on another day might have seen the Kendal striker grab a goal. Proctor won the battle though, giving his team the platform to go on and take the lead themselves.

A left-sided cross from Louis Mayers found its way to Padiham’s leading goalscorer Kieron Pickup who with a step to his left, wrong-footed his marker and allowed Pickup to get off a shot that beat Kendal keeper Phil King all ends up and gave Padiham a 32nd minute lead.

The Storks went back on the attack straight from the kick-off and when Dominic Craig burst into Kendal’s 18-yard box and was bungled down it looked odds on a penalty. But for the second week running nothing was given and the visitors had a big let off.

Both defences made important blocks before half-time to keep out Ben Allen for Padiham at one end and Rob Wilson for Kendal at the other end and on 44 minutes Louis Mayers flashed a shot right across the face of Kendal’s goals.

Padiham started the second half with their 1-0 lead intact but within nine minutes of the restart the visitors drew level when Kendal substitute Martyn Coleman set up Mike Rushton with his first touch of the ball and Rushton finished the move off from close range to make it 1-1.

Ben Allen had the ball in the back of the net on 66 minutes with a close range toe poke past King, however the linesman flagged for off-side to cut Padiham’s celebrations short.

A minute later though the Storks were celebrating for real as Allen beat King again, this time his powerful forward run and angled shot following a through ball from Mayers counted and Padiham led 2-1.

Kendal finished the game in exactly the same they started it but could not beat Proctor who saved with legs a close range effort from Jack Smith and another late effort from the same player.

Padiham were due to take on league leaders Curzon Ashton last night (Monday) and have a rearranged home fixture against Farsley FC on Saturday at the Arbories.

• A late Barnoldswick goal from the penalty spot robbed the Storks reserve side of what would have been a deserved win at away on Saturday.

Sam Whittaker fired Padiham ahead on 25 minutes playing against a strong wind and it was the conditions that led to Barnoldswick’s equaliser just before the interval when Sam Reeves’ cross was caught in the wind and flew into the Padiham net.

Gareth Hill restored Padiham’s lead in the second half after good work but a last ditch penalty by Ashley Anderson earned the home side a point.

Padiham FC Under 18s went level on points with East Lancashire Alliance Under 18s Youth League leaders Whalley with a 4-2 win over the Ribble Valley side on Sunday. The Storks goalscorers were Liam Cole (two), Jake Willacy and Alec Campbell.

Padiham Ladies went down 3-2 at home to Bury Girls and Ladies on Sunday. Sarah Mccabe and Michelle Brindle with the goals.