Chadderton 2, Padiham 1

GOAL: Jordan Hulme
GOAL: Jordan Hulme

DESPITE expressing a desire to succeed in the domestic cup competitions, Padiham boss Craig Chadwick saw his side dumped out of the NWC Football League Challenge Cup against First Division opponents Chadderton.

The Storks created a plethora of chances at Andrew Street, hitting the woodwork on four occasions while having two goals disallowed in an entertaining cup clash.

But the Storks had given themselves a proverbial mountain to climb after conceding two goals in a three minute spell at the start of the first half when they failed to defend two corners.

Danny Shaw headed Chadderton ahead from a Matthew Chadwick set-piece in the 11th minute and just moments later Keith Melvin doubled the home side’s advantage after Chris Ridehalgh failed to clear another Chadwick corner allowing the defender to make it 2-0.

Padiham hit back with efforts from Andrew Sensale, Martin Broderick and Jordan Hulme but Chadderton keeper Dale Latham saved all three chances to frustrate the visitors.

At the other end Chadderton’s Matthew Chadwick continued to cut the Storks defence to pieces, firing over in the 25th minute, just wide on the half-hour mark and forcing Padiham stopper Sean Davis to save well from another effort in the 35th minute.

Padiham should have pulled a goal back just before half-time as Sensale broke away only to be denied once more by Latham before a Shaun Carey corner was thumped against the crossbar by the head of Martin Parkes.

But whatever was said in the Padiham dressing room at the interval certainly had an affect as the Storks dominated the second half and within a minute of the re-start Parkes went close again with another header against the crossbar, this time from a Broderick corner.

John Blackley then drilled an effort across the face of Chadderton’s goal and a minute later Padiham hit the crossbar again as this time a Carey cross was met by a Hulme header that beat Latham but smashed against the woodwork once again.

Then in the 53rd minute Padiham’s pressure paid off courtesy of a fine solo effort from Hulme. The Storks leading goal-scorer took a neat touch, drove with purpose before thumping his shot over Latham to reduce the deficit.

Stuart Telfer missed a great chance to make it 2-2 after a good run down the left by Carey and his cross to the back post found the midfielder unmarked; though instead of becoming the hero of the hour he missed the target with a casual side-footed effort from close range.

Chadderton’s Chadwick sent out another warning shot in the 62nd minute after the lively forward broke down the left, cut inside and fired a shot that produced a sublime save from Davis.

Another excellent Padiham move ended with a through ball from Keiran Fletcher which found Carey in space and with only the keeper to beat but a weak effort resulting in Latham making a comfortable save.

With 20 minutes remaining Padiham went close with a left wing effort from Carey and in the 75th minute Hulme fired a shot against the underside of Chadderton’s crossbar.

Padiham substitute Lee Morris had shots saved and blocked, Barry Shuttleworth had a long range shot saved and in the last few minutes of the game Ridehalgh headed another good opportunity over the home side’s crossbar.

Padiham’s cup run could have been rescued had Lady Luck been present in Greater Manchester but Chadwick will be relying on a good performance and result, rather than fortune, when the Storks travel to face local rivals Bacup Borough tomorrow evening.

Elsewhere, Padiham Reserves overcame the inclement weather conditions to beat Barnoldswick Reserves 3-1.

Padiham took the lead in the 25th minute with an excellent strike from Shane Holding that bent out of the reach of keeper Marco Marosi. Curtis Gallagher added a second for the home side 10 minutes before the break with a 20-yard volley and when Nathan Egan made it 3-0 in the 70th minute following a fine solo effort the Storks had the points in the bag. Barnoldswick substitute Ryan Anderson grabbed a consolation for the visitors.

Meanwhile, Padiham FC’s young East Lancashire Football League outfit continued their good start to the season with a 7-2 away win over Clitheroe RBL.

Padiham were 2-0 up in the opening 10 minutes with both goals coming from Joe Rodriguez. The away side pulled one back but Stephen Cassidy soon restored Padiham’s two-goal advantage. Matt Ashworth then arrived at the double to put Padiham in to a commanding 5-1 lead. Further goals from Shane Kennedy and Cole Hayman, with a Clitheroe goal sandwiched in-between, rounded off the scoring.

And Padiham Ladies picked up another victory beating Carlisle Ladies 3-1. Abbie Blackett gave Padiham a 1-0 lead at half-time thanks to a 15th minute opener. Charlotte Holden doubled the Storks lead in the 68th minute and 10 minutes later Danielle McKillop made it 3-0. Carlisle pulled one back before the full-time whistle was sounded.

Padiham FC Under 12s lost 2-0 against Fulledge at Fennyfold.