Storks through to LFA Youth Cup quarter-finals

Steve Wilkes' Padiham were without a game on Saturday, but return to action this weekend
Steve Wilkes' Padiham were without a game on Saturday, but return to action this weekend
Share this article

Padiham FC Youth team reached the quarter-final stage of this season’s Lancashire FA Under 18s Youth Cup competition with a 5-3 away win over Turton on Sunday, despite being 2-0 down after only 10 minutes.

For the first time in three attempts, the cup tie beat the weather, despite the pitch only being declared fit two hours before the kick-off.

And in the early stages of the game, the young Storks looked sadly lacking in enthusiasm, before a five-goal burst in the half hour leading up to half-time put Padiham in the driving seat of the game, and on their way to a last eight cup tie away to Hurst Green Under 18s this Sunday.

Padiham defender Ryan Walsh started the Storks’ fight back, reacting first to a floated free kick to place his shot out of reach of home keeper Adam Riley on 15 minutes, and three minutes later Harvey Close headed in a corner to level the scores at 2-2.

Close put the Storks ahead for the first time on 32 minutes, forcing home the loose ball in a goalmouth scramble, and a minute later Daniel Swift scored the goal of the game with a long range effort over the head of Turton keeper Riley to make it 4-2.

A minute before the interval, Padiham added what proved to be an all-important fifth goal when Lewis Reeder turned in a cross to the back post to leave the Storks 5-2 up at the break.

Turton had a real go at getting back in the game in the second half, and boosted their fightback hopes with a goal just seven minutes into the second half.

The home side were awarded a penalty with 15 minutes to go, and a fourth goal now would have set up a nervy end to the game, but a safe by Padiham keeper Sam Skidmore kept out the spot kick and allowed Padiham to see out the game with their two-goal cushion still intact at the final whistle.

l Padiham’s first team were without a game on Saturday, but Steve Wilkes’ side return to action this Saturday at home to Runcorn Town.