Storks bounce back from heavy defeats in style

Kieron Pickup scored a hat-trick for Padiham in their 5-1 win against Winsford United on Saturday
Kieron Pickup scored a hat-trick for Padiham in their 5-1 win against Winsford United on Saturday
Share this article

Padiham bounced back from two heavy defeats with a thumping 5-1 win of their own on Saturday.

Before this North West Counties League Premier Division fixture at the Arbories Memorial Sports Grounds YESSS Electrical Arena, Winsford had won six and drawn one of their previous eight visits, with Padihams only victory over the Cheshire side on home soil coming 12 years ago.

Chappy Massamba had a lively start to the game, having a shot turned round the post by visiting keeper Dale Latham, and then heading the resulting corner over on four minutes.

He then missed a great chance when he tamely headed a Kieron Pickup cross wide on 17 minutes.

Andrew Hill just failed to connect with a Michael West free kick on 20 minutes, and Alex Murphy was unfortunate when his shot was deflected for a corner in the Storks’ next attack.

Padiham were getting closer, and after Hill’s volley from an Alex Ralph corner was turned away for another corner, the Storks made the break through when Pickup smashed Murphy’s follow up flag kick through a crowded box and into the net on 33 minutes.

A flurry of attacks by the visitors before half-time saw Daniel Hudson go close with a shot over the bar, and a shot that needed the full attention of Storks keeper Sean Davis, whilst Daniel Egan should have done better with an header that also went over the bar.

After the brea, Latham somehow kept out a Pickup shot with his legs, and Padiham captain Martin Parkes missed a good opening when he headed wide from a Murphy corner.

Winsford were still not out of the game, reminding the home side of that fact when Sam Cook tested Davis from a free kick on 63 minutes, and two minutes later drawing level through substitute Saul Henderson.

Padiham regained their lead with 15 minutes to go after a Hill cross field pass found Pickup, who raced away to angle a shot into the net and ignite a goal rush.

Curtis Haley made it 3-1 on 81 minutes after a forceful run across the box resulted in the Padiham substitute gaining the space he needed to shoot past Latham, and on 89 minutes Murphy made it 4-1 when he smashed home a ball played into his path by Josh Emmott.

The pick of the goals arrived in added time with Pickup rounding the Winsford keeper, then beating a defender before slipping his shot into the net to complete his hat-trick.

The Storks are at 1874 Northwich on Saturday.