Padiham suffer home defeat to Kendal

Mere consolation: Martin Parkes (right) put Padiham in front on Wednesday night, but Kendal Town won 5-1 at the Arbories
Mere consolation: Martin Parkes (right) put Padiham in front on Wednesday night, but Kendal Town won 5-1 at the Arbories
Share this article

Padiham had what can only be described as a second half shocker against Kendal Town at the Arbories Memorial Sports Ground YESSS Electrical Arena on Wednesday night, conceeding four goals after the break to go down 5-1.

The game was played against the backdrop of the town’s bonfire night celebrations, and in the first half the Storks were more than a match for their high-scoring opponents who had scored six on Saturday at home to Salford City.

Zach Clark gave Padiham an early scare when he was played in on goal in a one on one situation with home keeper Marcuss Burgess after only three minutes, but he couldn’t beat the young shot stopper, who saved low down at the feet of the striker.

Padiham`s Ben Allen combined well with Brett Ormerod on eight minutes, but Allen’s shot flew right across the face of goal.

Then on 13 minutes, Padiham took the lead when a Clark Bradford free kick found its way to Storks captain Martin Parkes, who steered his shot into the back of the net through a crowded box.

Within a minute of the restart, Kendal almost repeated the home side’s move, but this time Ricky Mercer headed his opportunity wide.

Ormerod then had a glorious chance at the other end to put Padiham two up, but the experienced striker somehow side-footed his close range effort wide with an open goal at his mercy.

This proved to be a big turning point in the game and on the half hour mark Kendal equalised following a defensive mix up between Tom Murphy and Burgess, which resulted in Murphy deflecting the ball into his own net to make it 1-1.

Ormerod had another great chance to score for the Storks on 35 minutes but again missed the target, heading an Allen cross unexpectedly wide.

Then in the run up to half-time, Padiham keeper Burgess was in the thick of things again when he was called upon to save another one on one situation with Clark.

After the break, only one side turned out for the second half, and after Clark had put the visitors 2-1 up on 55 minutes, it became apparent that the Storks were always going to be second best.

Jeff King made it 3-1 eight minutes later, and when Padiham substitute James Jenkins lost possession in the Kendal box with seven minutes to go, a quick break by the visitors resulted in Murphy giving a penalty away at the other end.

A great save by Padiham keeper Burgess kept out Jordon Connerton’s spot kick, but from the resulting corner, Connerton made up for his earlier miss by scoring from close range to give Kendal a 4-1 lead.

Connerton piled on more misery for the home supporters in added on time, scoring with a simple tap in after former Padiham player Kieran Pickup’s shot came back to him off the post.

Padiham travel to Ossett Albion on Saturday for another Evo-Stik First Division North fixture, while Padiham Reserves have no game, giving Burnley FC Under 18s the opportunity to take centre stage at the YESSS Electrical Arena, with a Youth Alliance League fixture against Port Vale, kick-off 11 a.m.