Padiham earn second bite of the cherry after draw at Brigg Town

Close call: Jason Hart hit the post for Padiham early on at Brigg Town
Close call: Jason Hart hit the post for Padiham early on at Brigg Town
Share this article

Padiham earned a second chance at making it into into the next round of the FA Trophy when they drew at Brigg Town on Saturday.

The Storks will host a replay on Wednesday night, kick-off 7-45 p.m.

The Storks made a bright start to the cup tie and nearly opened the scoring on five minutes when Jason Hart worked some space at the edge of the area before curling a shot against the outside of the post.

Padiham full back Jake Gregory then sent a shot across the face of goal, while James Jenkins should have done better with an header from a free kick.

At the other end, Brigg looked dangerous down their right wing and went close themselves when Elliot Broughton cut inside on 37 minutes and fired wide, then went close again after a ball was pulled back to Joe Lightowler, only for the home striker to fire over the bar, to leave the game goal-less at the break.

The second half lacked the initial pace of the opening 45 minutes, and although it was an end to end contest, neither side had the finishing skills to clinch the victory.

Brigg Town could have won the game right at the death following some late pressure when Leigh Hutchinson got on the end of an inswinging corner, but his header flew inches over the bar, leaving both teams to do it all again at Padiham’s newly named YESSS Electrical Arena at The Arbories Memorial Sports Ground.

Padiham Reserves.................3

Nelson Reserves...................2

In a highly-entertaining Galaxy Lancashire League fixture at the Arbories on Saturday, the home side staged a remarkable recovery to come from being 2-0 down after 20 minutes to eventually win the local derby.

The Storks fight back started when the reserve team’s leading goal scorer Martin Trickett pulled one back on 27 minutes, and carried on in the run up to half-time thanks to a 36th-minute equaliser by Paul Walsh.

After the break, Padiham secured the winning goal eight minutes from time when Ben Bridson volleyed in a Corey Cook cross.