Lady Clarets suffer a Sting in the tale

The Lady Clarets went head-to-head with Manchester Stingers in a second against third league encounter on Sunday.

Friday, 8th April 2016, 12:09 pm

Burnley needed to win to maintain league position but suffered a 2-0 reverse.

Stingers were first on the attack, but were initially beaten back by the Clarets defensive line, however, the Stingers were determined and repeatedly won possession in midfield.

No serious threats on goal developed and finally the Clarets exerted some skilful passing to go on the offensive, winning consecutive corners.

Stingers made a long range clearance which reasserted their early pressure and they also won a corner where the ball fell dangerously in the box, but was scrambled clear and passed up field, providing the Clarets first real threat.

Unfortunately, strong defending pushed Clarets striker Becky Hayton wide of goal before she could release a shot.

The Lady Clarets worked their way into the game and won many of the midfield battles. Holly Hunter made some piercing runs down the right hand flank and stretched the Singers defence.

Justine Wallace launched a free kick from distance which was chased in by the Clarets strikers but was collected at the far post by the keeper.

Wallace and Emilie Forrest tried shots from long range but both were wide of the target.

Becky Sidley then picked out Hayton with a long throw but she was quickly closed down in the box.

Sidley won the ball back, and again the Clarets applied pressure, but resolute defending prevented clear chances from developing.

The Clarets were pushed back briefly, but keeper Sophie Valentine took control of a back pass, switched it across her defence to Jo Rohman, who picked out star performer Lizzy Hamer on the halfway line. Hamer drove down the left flank and cut in and shot from 20 yards, but the ball is collected by the keeper.

Stingers’ keeper then quickly launched a long distance kick which landed behind the Clarets back line, and as the defenders chased back, Valentine tried to intercept on the edge of the 18-yard line, but the pressuring striker forced an error and the ball was slotted into the net.

Soon after the restart, the Clarets won a free kick close to the touchline, level with the 18-yard box. Sarah Greenhalgh shot directly at goal and her powerful effort smashed against the bar and rebounded to safety.

In the second period, the Clarets continue to pressure the Stingers, but rarely broke through to cause any real danger.

Stingers tried to catch the Clarets on the break, and they added the killer second goal when dan overhead kick from midfield found the striker, who skilfully deceived the Clarets defence and powered a shot home.

The Lady Clarets are back in action on Sunday as they look to bounce back when they travel to face Wigan Athletic Ladies.