Jo earns Burnley Ladies a point


JO Rohman earned the Clarets a point at Wyre FC on Sunday, ending the Tangerines’ 100% start.

After their midweek game against Bolton Wanderers was rained off, Burnley travelled to the Fylde Coast, and they had an early sight of goal as Steph Meeks dribbled though the Blackpool defence, but she was unable to get a strong shot away.

Blackpool, playing with the wind, opted to play long balls forward, but again Burnley broke forward, culminating in Meeks hitting a shot narrowly wide of the post.

Midway through the half, Kelly Ronson threaded a ball through the Blackpool defence for Meeks to chase onto, but the Blackpool keeper managed to clear from outside the box.

Blackpool counter attacked and shot just wide of the post, and from Emily Rogers’ goal kick, the ball landed at the feet of a Tangerines striker, who hit the post.

Just after the half hour, a long pass from left to right landed at the feet of Blackpool’s number nine, who was able to slot the ball into the net to open the scoring.

Two minutes later Blackpool had another shot on goal but Rogers got a hand to it to push it over the bar.

Burnley fought back, and 37 minutes Rohman played a quick ball to Meeks, who passed forward, allowing Rohman to break through the Blackpool defence and fire home from inside the box.

After the break, the strong wind had subsided, but the Clarets defence continued to work tirelessly, mopping up attempts by Blackpool to get in the danger area.

Youngster Becky Sidley is becoming stronger with every game, and has shown adaptability by playing both sides of defence.

Central defenders Leah Morrissey and captain Jo Holt provide depth and pace when required, with Vicky Smith containing the quick and tricky Tangerines winger.

On 55 minutes, Blackpool played a ball to the edge of the area, and a striker managed to push the ball to the side of the advancing Rogers. A scramble ensued, but Morrissey was able to block any further advance and the ball was cleared by Holt.

The game was by no means going Blackpool’s way.

Berwick hit a number of balls into the Blackpool danger area but no one was able capitalise.

The Blackpool keeper pulled off a reaction save, which resulted from a corner taken by Berwick, and moments later Berwick shot just wide from 22 yards.

On 70 minutes Ronson came off the pitch after suffering a sprain following a strong tackle and was replaced by another youngster Carly Salkeld.

She was immediately in the action on goal but was blocked by a home defender

Blackpool’s last strong chance came six minutes from time when a striker dribbled into the Clarets 18-yard box and managed to release a shot which glided over the bar.

Both teams pushed hard to try and find an opening but the game ended 1-1.

Player of the match was again Meeks

Burnley Ladies play Bolton Wanderers Ladies on Sunday, kick-off 2 p.m. at Bank Hall.

Final Score: Blackpool 1, Burnley FC Ladies 1