Photos: Charlton Athletic 0, Burnley 3

Share this article

Burnley thumped Charlton Athletic at The Valley to make it fifteen league games unbeaten and keep their grip on the second automatic promotion place.

Goals from Ashley Barnes, Sam Vokes and a late Michael Kightly effort wrapped up a comfortable victory that never looked in doubt after Barnes nodded in the opener.

Burnley's  Dean Marney, Junior Stanislas and David Jones celebrate Ashley Barnes' first half goal

Burnley's Dean Marney, Junior Stanislas and David Jones celebrate Ashley Barnes' first half goal

After a quiet start to proceedings, the game exploded into life after Ashley Barnes headed a wonderful Stanislas cross powerfully past Hamer in the Charlton goal, his first goal in a Burnley shirt.

It could have been two just moments later, Hamer parried a Baird shot only as far as Arfield who picked out Barnes at the back post, his head was good, but the save from Hamer was spectacular to deny the former Brighton striker his second of the game.

Burnley emerged from the dressing rooms looking to kill the game off, and were given the perfect opportuntity when referee Lanford pointed to the spot after Dervite was adjudged to have fouled Vokes. The big man dusted himself down to cooly convert the spot-kick past Hamer to give the Clarets breathing space, the goal was the twentieth of a prolific campaign for Vokes, the first time he’s reached that milestone in his career.

Charlton rallied with Ajdarevic coming close, forcing a brilliant save out of Heaton with a low free-kick, but that was as good as it got for the troubled Addicks.

Michael Kightly wrapped the game up for the Clarets in the dying moments, his short corner was played back to him, he cut inside and let fly, the ball taking a wicked deflection and past the unlucky Hamer who was left with no chance.

Burnley now turn their attentions to Tuesday night as they welcome Doncaster Rovers to Turf Moor.

For a full match report see Tuesday’s Burnley Express.

Follow @BXSport on twitter!