Photos: Carlisle United 1, Burnley 4

Much has changed since Burnley’s last visit to Brunton Park 15 years ago.

Carlisle came within an injury time goal from keeper Jimmy Glass from being relegated to the Conference, while Burnley have enjoyed a season in the sun in the Premier League.

Change is also apparent, in a far shorter space of time, in Sean Dyche’s Clarets side, not just in personnel, but in the way they are trying to play.

Burnley evolved last season from a free-scoring, but wide open, side under Eddie Howe, to a meaner, less fluid unit under Dyche.

But having drilled more organisation into the team, the next challenge was to bring more creativity and guile.

And while friendly games often prove misleading one way or the other, the evidence so far is that Burnley will be a more attractive side than they were over the second half of last season, with penetration the buzzword for Dyche.

The Clarets were home and hosed within a quarter of the game, having taken a 3-0 lead after 22 minutes, after a sixth-minute strike from Ross Wallace, and a brace from Danny Ings.

Junior Stanislas added a fourth just before the hour with a fine curler, and although Lewis Guy pulled one back immediately from the restart, Carlisle were well beaten.

Greg Abbott’s League 1 side didn’t provide the sternest examination, by any stretch of the imagination, but Burnley’s invention and one-touch passing was impressive.

With David Jones and Dean Marney pulling the strings in midfield, and Wallace and Stanislas taking it in turns to come and influence play off the front, the Clarets threatened a rout in the first period.

Pressing high up the pitch, the Clarets forced errors and created chances almost from the off.

Stanislas had a shot blocked before Charlie Austin collected the ball and had the foresight to pick out Wallace, who had time and space to pick his spot clinically.

Carlisle responded as striker Lee Miller forced a comfortable save from Tom Heaton with a header from Matty Robson’s cross, but it was soon 2-0 as Marney threaded a pass down the side of centre back Danny Livesey for Ings, who slotted past Mark Gillespie.

Stanislas then hit the outside of the post with a 30-yard free kick before Marney turned provider again, lifting the ball into Ings, who took it down and drilled home off the post.

Heaton appeared to touch the lively but wayward David Amoo’s angled strike against the far post on the half hour, but Burnley were comfortable at the break.

Ings could have completed his hat-trick after the restart, lifting the ball over from Stanislas’ well-timed pass, before Marney upended Miller at the other end, handing Carlisle ca penalty.

However, Heaton - with a fine reputation for saving spot kicks - guessed right to beat away Miller’s effort.

Stanislas curled in a fourth from the edge of the area from Wallace’s deep corner, although United substitute Guy pulled one back immediately from a long ball, finding the top corner.

There was time to give new signings Scott Arfield and Ryan Noble a run out, rounding off a good day at the office.

Burnley: Heaton; O’Neill (Coleman 87), Duff (Long 58), Shackell, Lafferty; Wallace (Treacy 68), Marney (Stock 68), Jones (Arfield 63), Stanislas (Mills 76); Austin (Vokes 68), Ings (Noble 78). Subs not used: Cisak, Hewitt, Edgar.