Photos: Burnley 2, Preston North End 0

Share this article

The Clarets will go in to the hat for the third round of the Capital One Cup after goals from Kieran Trippier and Danny Ings saw off rivals Preston North End.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche made four changes for the derby at Turf Moor with Alex Cisak replacing the suspended Tom Heaton while Ben Mee, Michael Duff and David Edgar were included at the expense of Danny Lafferty, Kevin Long and Dean Marney.

Kieran Trippier scores the first goal direct from a free-kick.

Kieran Trippier scores the first goal direct from a free-kick.

The scene of the tie was atmospheric with 2,920 travelling fans contributing to the total attendance of 10,648. The second minute of the fixture was greeted with an impeccably observed one-minute applause for former Clarets and Lilywhites defender Gary Parkinson, with defender Tom Clarke heading over from a Lee Holmes set-piece.

With the Clarets on a nine game streak on home soil in the League Cup, Trippier sent the hosts on their way to extending that statistic when the flight of his fizzing free-kick in the sixth minute deceived goalkeeper Thorsten Stuckmann who fell wrong-footed as the ball crept beneath his arm, temporarily silencing the North End support housed in the David Fishwick Stand.

After Sam Vokes headed over the bar at full stretch from Trippier’s beautifully floated cross to the back post, the striker went even closer midway through the half when his powerful header from Keith Treacy’s corner was cleared off the line by Bailey Wright.

The visitors certainly didn’t cave in though and Stuart Beavon almost found an equaliser when cutting in from the left and attempting to sneak an effort in to the near post. However, Cisak plunged to his left to turn the ball around the post. The League One side looked menacing from set-pieces though and from the resulting corner Clarke’s header whistled past the post.

With the home side seeming comfortable and relatively unexposed in open play it was always going to take something special to beat Cisak, and that almost arrived when captain Keith Keane’s diagonal pass was met by a ferocious volley from Scott Laird but, after darting in to the final third, the full-back’s effort flashed by the near post.

The crushing blow for Simon Grayson’s side arrived in the 34th minute when the Clarets doubled the advantage. Trippier sparked the move with a purposeful foray infield before David Jones and Vokes combined to set up Ings who wriggled through a wall of defenders before nonchalantly slotting in to the corner for his fourth of the campaign in all competitions.

Then, as the half drew to a close, the away side threatened again via another aerial battle as Wright’s header was palmed to safety by Cisak.

Encouraged by their vociferous support, Preston appeared enthused and pushed the Clarets back early in the second half. Skipper Jason Shackell turned Beavon’s header off the line once Iain Hume had turned Chris Humphrey’s cross in to the six yard box before Holmes zipped a shot from distance across Cisak that narrowly evaded the far post.

The young Polish keeper - making an impressive and commanding full debut - then turned former Clitheroe FC midfielder Joel Byrom’s swinging free-kick over the bar.

The remainder of the half was routine for the Clarets who dominated possession and saw out the remaining duration with sheer professionalism to earn a place in the third round alongside the likes of Herculean Premier League outfits Manchester United, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.