Burnley 0, Arsenal 1

Share this article

Football can be such a cruel game. Burnley were seconds away from claiming a deserved point against the Gunners in the evening kick-off but were dealt a horrible blow with the last kick of the game.

Not only was Arsenal's late winner a huge kick in the teeth for the home side but it arrived in the most controversial of circumstances as goalscorer Laurent Koscielny handled the ball over the line from an offside position.

Ben Mee and Tom Heaton are left distraught the full time whistle

Ben Mee and Tom Heaton are left distraught the full time whistle

It was a sickening fate for the Clarets to suffer after proving more than a match for the away side throughout the entirity of the fixture.

The Gunners bossed possession, as you'd expect from a side brimming with global multi-million pound superstars, but their time on the ball was barely detrimental to the Clarets who have certainly acclimatised to life in the Premier League.

There seems to have been a switch of mentality inside Turf Moor from the club's last stint in the top flight.

There's no longer a sense that 'little old Burnley' are there to make up the numbers; there's a genuine belief that they can not only survive at this level but they can also compete.

Matt Lowton takes the ball past Alex Iwobi

Matt Lowton takes the ball past Alex Iwobi

Against Arsenal, in Arsene Wenger's 20th year with the club, the hosts did give their opponents time to think, reading the game spectacularly well as they nicked possession from their toes on countless occasions.

And twice the home side's harassment almost paid dividends in the opening half with Sam Vokes and George Boyd the beneficiaries of Jeff Hendrick's efforts.

The record signing harangued his opposite numbers in the middle of the park, firstly sliding the ball in to Vokes when robbing possession off Granit Xhaka only for the Welshman to mistime his run.

The one-time Ram then took the ball off the boot of Santi Cazorla to set up Boyd, but the winger sliced wide of the near post.

And that was a pattern of the first 45 minutes. No matter how inventive the visitors attempted to be, there was a body or two in position to cut short their time on the ball.

After Alex Ewobi lifted a right-footed shot in to the stands from 20 yards out in the embryonic stages of the fixture, Alexis Sanchez carved out the first genuine opening.

The Chilean manoeuvred the ball on to his right boot inside the area and his shot proved troublesome for Tom Heaton after taking a nick off Theo Walcott.

Once a quarter-of-an-hour had been played out Walcott found himself in a similar position to his team-mate but, from a slightly more acute angle, the England international pulled his attempt across the face of goal.

It wasn't just a case of discipline, organisation, pressing and shutting up shop for the Clarets though. On the ball the home side showed ambition and knocked it about economically and they undoubtedly crafted the best opportunity of the half.

As full back Hector Bellerin failed to step up with the central defensive pairing of skipper Koscielny and Shkodran Mustafi, the Spaniard played Vokes onside from Matt Lowton's beautifully lofted pass in to the penalty area.

However, with bags of time and in acres of space, Burnley's lone striker guided his header wide of the upright.

Arsenal had more joy after the break with Sanchez inparticular crafting more space between Burnley's banks.

The Chile international went close early on when Walcott and Bellerin forced the opening but, with a small window to aim at, Heaton was able to telegraph the strike to make a smart save at his left hand post.

Burnley responded well and it was a clever save from Petr Cech that prevented the hosts from taking the lead.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson rose above Nacho Monreal to meet Stephen Ward's cross and the Icelandic winger's header was turned around the post.

From the resulting corner, taken by Steven Defour, Michael Keane flicked on but Hendrick couldn't force the ball home from close range as Walcott blocked.

It was turning out to be a fantastic duel between two sides going for victory and they both went within a whisker of snatching the points.

Sanchez's thumping volley clipped the outside of the post as he swung at Mee's clearance unchallenged and then Keane's header cannoned back off the crossbar at the opposite end two minutes later from Gudmundsson's set-piece.

Arsenal thought they'd won it with five minutes remaining when Walcott's bending effort drifted agonisingly wide of the post but they did secure the win in controversial circumstances deep in to stoppage time.

Sanchez's cross was flicked on to the far post where substitute Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain fired in off the hand off Koscielny. The defender was stood in an offside position from the second phase of play as soon as Chamberlain made contact but the officials failed to pick up on it.