Arsenal 2, Burnley 1

Share this article

Calum Chambers only has two career goals - they've both come against the Clarets.

The former Saint, who netted against Sean Dyche's side in a 3-0 win at the Emirates in the Premier League, helped FA Cup holders Arsenal on their way to a fourth round victory with a first half finish that team-mate Alexis Sanchez would've been proud of.

Sam Vokes celebrates heading the Clarets level at the Emirates Stadium

Sam Vokes celebrates heading the Clarets level at the Emirates Stadium

It was the Chilean, in fact, who supplied the assist, finding the aperture between Scott Arfield's legs, before the England international floated the ball over Tom Heaton with a beautiful, flicked effort off the outside of his boot in the 19th minute.

But before and, indeed, after that breakthrough the Clarets had proved more than a match for their opponents in the presence of Three Lions boss Roy Hodgson.

While Burnley's two banks were organised, successfully narrowing passing lanes for the home side, the front two of Andre Gray and Sam Vokes were often troublesome.

The pair combined in the early stages of the tie from Heaton's free kick as the Welshman out-jumped Gabriel, a familiar theme throughout the afternoon, before the £6m record signing guided his shot just wide of the upright when spinning Gunners skipper Laurent Koscielny.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain drilled over the top from Alex Iwobi's pass as Arsenal failed to break down the visitor's defensive door before Sanchez fired wide of the near post after stepping past George Boyd on to his right foot.

Once Heaton gathered Mohamed Elneny's drive from distance, in the ninth minute, the travelling support broke out in a one minute's applause for club legend Ray Pointer. The centre-forward, a key member of the team crowned champions of England in 1960, sadly died last week.

The Clarets pressed well, displaying the guile that won them many admirers during their spell in the top flight, and started to win the ball high up the field, exposing Arsenal's rearguard.

Gray, playing on the shoulder as he so often does, ghosted in on the blind side of Frenchman Koscielny to steal possession and close in on goal but, with Vokes square and unmarked, the striker was foiled by David Ospina when attempting to fire across the Colombian stopper.

With Arsene Wenger's men struggling to carve their way through, Oxlade-Chamberlain opted to utilise his speed in a bid to get in behind. And it almost paid dividends when his strike was diverted just wide of the near post via the out-stretched leg of Stephen Ward.

After falling behind to Chambers's exceptional opener - on the rare occasion that the Gunners breached Burnley's defensive line - the away side continued with the type of spirited performance that has recently been rewarded with 13 points from five outings in the Championship.

And they eventually forced a deserved equaliser on the half-hour mark. The hosts failed to clear their lines from David Jones's corner, Arfield recycled the ball to Tendayi Darikwa on the right hand side, and the one-time Spirite's delivery was headed in to the corner by Vokes who had once again towered above Gabriel.

Oxlade-Chamberlain had two chances to restore the lead before the interval, firstly firing wide off balance when Alex Iwobi's deflected centre fell in to his path at the back post and then he was denied by Heaton who plunged to his right to stop the winger's attempt from 20 yards out.

Arsenal turned it up a notch after the break and went 2-1 up in the 55th minute, but only after Ospina had thwarted Arfield at his near post.

The Gunners broke incisively, working the ball forward from their own third, and once Iwobi and Oliver Giroud had combined on the edge of the box, Sanchez swept the ball in to the top corner from Oxlade-Chamberlain's cross.

Elneny was denied by Heaton and then missed the target when shaping the ball towards the far post as the hosts looked to make their pressure pay.

Heaton sprawled to his right to push Sanchez's set-piece to safety as the half wore on while Arfield blazed over from deep inside the box as Chambers failed to deal with Jones's corner.

Chamberlain found the stands in the latter stages, Elneny drove wide acrobatically from the edge of the box in stoppage time while Theo Walcott, on as a substitute, was denied by the hand of Heaton after racing clear and attempting to round the Burnley skipper.

It was a bright performance from the Clarets, one which they'll take plenty of heart and confidence from, but it's the holders who'll be in the hat for the fifth round.