Burnley FC deny ‘illegal approach’ claim for Bournemouth chief scout
Burnley Football Club have denied claims made by Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell of an illegal approach for Cherries’ chief scout Des Taylor.
Taylor, who worked under Eddie Howe at Dean Court, resigned this week, before questioning Bournemouth’s ambition.
Taylor is said to be in breach of his contract, which expires in June 2012.
And that provoked a response from Mitchell, who released a statement on Bournemouth’s official website, alleging the Clarets were involved in Taylor’s resignation.
Burnley responded with their own statement, which read: “Burnley Football Club strongly refutes allegations made today (Wednesday) by AFC Bournemouth Chairman Mr Eddie Mitchell.
“In a statement on the AFC Bournemouth official website, Mr Mitchell accuses Burnley Football Club of being ‘underhand and unprofessional’ and of making an illegal approach for chief scout Mr Des Taylor.
“This statement is factually incorrect in all regards to Burnley Football Club, which has not approached, nor offered Mr Taylor any position at Turf Moor.
“Nor, as alleged by Mr Mitchell, did Burnley Football Club utilise the services of Mr Taylor at the U21 European Championships in Denmark this summer.
“In closing, Burnley Football Club will always aim to be honest, open and professional in their dealings with other football clubs.”
Mitchell has said, after seeing Taylor’s reasons for his resignation in the Bournemouth Daily Echo: “It is very frustrating for someone like Des - an employee of the club - to come out in the paper, and be too frightened to disclose the truth that he has been approached by another club. He has admitted this, and the club in question is Burnley.
“Des is contracted to AFC Bournemouth until the end of June 2012 and his resignation means he is in full breach of his contract.
“We believe it is not the first time Burnley have approached one of our staff without informing us first, and I find it very underhand and unprofessional. The truth will be shown when Des signs a contract with them, or begins to work freelance, as we know the fact is they have made an approach.“
The statement claimed Bournemouth had paid £3,000 to send Taylor to the UEFA European Under 21 Championships in Denmark last month “for Burnley’s benefit and not ours.”
Mitchell’s statement continued: “It’s just very disappointing I have been drawn into something like this, but I will defend the club as best I can. The real crux of the matter is that if someone is approached by another club, that is fine, as long as they do things in a professional manner, then clubs are allowed to move forward without this bitter taste.”
Taylor said: “I have left for the right reasons and see my future elsewhere. I don’t have any concrete plans at the moment and will see what the future holds.”