No repeat win as Colne well beaten by Todmorden

Joel Duerden in action against Lowerhouse.
Joel Duerden in action against Lowerhouse.
Share this article

Colne entertained Todmorden on Sunday at the Horsfield, but there was no repeat of last week’s success as they fell to a 161-run defeat on a bitterly cold day.

Todmorden batted first, and lost Ben Sutcliffe (2) and Fred Priestley (2) early on, a wicket apiece for Andy Hakin and Dave Wallbank.

But by the time the second wicket fell, Simon Newbitt was in full flow, and the score was already 43-2.

Professional Bilawal Bhatti joined him, and the pair added 140 for the third wicket.

Newbitt was out for 93, caught by Colne professional Thomas Kaber off the bowling of John Lambert, and Bhatti was stumped by Kenton Rhodes off Kaber.

But the score was 218-4 by the time Bhatti was out, and a quick 47 by skipper Andrew Sutcliffe took Todmorden’s total to 262-7 from 50 overs. Kaber took a couple of late wickets to add a touch of respectability to his figures of 3-65,

Bhatti opened the bowling for Todmorden, and was simply too quick for the Colne batsmen. He bowled only seven overs, but took 5-19 and left Colne in disarray at 44-7.

Lambert, Bradshaw and Hakin were all bowled; Kaber and Walker got their pads in the way and were lbw.

Fellow opening bowler Harlow took a couple of wickets, also without requiring help from the fielders – Clark bowled and Holt lbw.

Joel Duerden made 12, and Rhodes (38) batted aggressively and well in taking Colne’s score into three figures. He added 38 for the last wicket with Wallbank (8 not out) as Colne finished 101 all out in 24.2 overs.

Colne travel to Bacup on Sunday for a league game.

There is no 20-20 game tonight – it is Colne’s bye week.

The second XI have a double header: they have the reverse fixture at home to Bacup on Sunday, but they also travel to East Lancashire tomorrow to play the second round of the Second XI Cup, having been rained off last Saturday.)

Last Friday night, a Twenty20 thriller at the Horsfield was undecided until the last ball of the second innings.

Sam Halstead hit a four to clinch a two-run victory for Nelson. Colne were 102 all out, with Nelson 106-8.