After Greggs axes hot cross buns - here’s where to find the Easter treat the cheapest including Asda & Tesco
After bakery chain Greggs announces it won’t be stocking hot cross buns this year, we look at the supermarkets offering the Easter teacakes at the cheapest prices
With Easter just around the corner, the quest for the best and cheapest hot cross buns begins but if you are hoping to grab a pack from high street bakery chain, Greggs, you’ll be leaving empty handed. The company recently announced they won’t be stocking the Easter treat this year much to the anguish of loyal customers so we’ve decided to find out where you can pick them up for the best price.
Angry fans took to social media to express their dismay over the announcement with one Twitter user, @wa11fl0wer, posting: “Greggs aren’t selling their vegan hot cross buns this year, I’m actually raging.” Bob Shepherd branded the decision a “disaster” as they were the “best hot cross buns”.
The symbolic teacakes, adorned with a cross, are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, marking the end of lent. Traditionally eaten toasted with butter, or plain out of the package, and often combined with jam, the spiced hot cross buns are packed with fruits. Today, varieties such as lemon and chocolate are also available.
So, if Greggs won’t sort out your hot cross bun cravings, here’s which supermarkets offer the cheapest alternatives. We have been looking at the cheapest standard hot cross buns in each store, but most brands offer a number of variations, such as gluten-free, flavoured and luxury options.
Cheapest supermarkets hot cross buns 2023
- Sainsbury hot cross buns - £1.10 for a pack of 6 (18p each)
- Tesco hot cross buns - £1.15 for a pack of 6 (19p each)
- Asda hot cross buns - £1.15 for a pack of 6 (19p each)
- Morissons hot cross buns - £1.15 for a pack of 6 (19p each)
- Co-op hot cross buns - £1.40 for a pack of 6 (24p each)
- Waitrose hot cross buns - £1.10 for a pack of 4 (27p each)
- Marks & Spencer hot cross buns - £2 for a pack of 4 via Ocado (50p each)
- Aldi hot cross buns - Not available online
- Lidl hot cross buns - Not available online