Wood burner brings out fire service

Latest news
Latest news
Share this article

Firefighters were called to a house in Padiham where the owner was burning wood in his back yard.

A neighbour alerted the fire service after seeing smoke billowing from the back yard of the house in Sowerby Street at 4-10pm on Thursday.

Crew manager Lee Garnett said: “A quantity of wood was being burnt in a brazier.

“Neighbours had reported the smoke thinking that a building may be on fire.

We advised the occupant that their actions had caused a drain on Fire Service resources that may be needed elsewhere to deal with more important emergency calls.

“The fire engine from Padiham was unavailable for other calls for around 30 minutes.

“There are no specific laws against having burning waste, but there are Acts that deal with the nuisance they can cause.”