Woman and son flee Burnley house fire


A woman in her sixties and her son were forced to flee their home last night after the electricity meter set on fire.

Crews from Burnley and Padiham were called to the mid-terraced property in Penistone Street at 8pm. The woman had been watching television when she heard a loud bang and saw sparks coming from the meter cupboard before the electricity in the house went off. Luckily her son who was upstairs helped to get them both out of the building and to safety before the fire took hold.

By the time firefighters arrived, fire had engulfed the meter cupboard and spread to curtains.

Crew manager Kieron Ogden said there was some confusion among neighbours as to whether there was anyone still in the house and they called in an extra crew from Padiham as a precaution.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the flames and called out the electricity and gas boards to make the supply safe.

The house was heavily smoke damaged and the occupants had to spend the night with friends.