AN elderly couple had a lucky escape when their Mercedes erupted into flames as they drove through Barley.
Frank and Anne Wilson, both 74, had been shopping in Chatburn last Saturday afternoon before deciding to take the scenic route back through the village to their home in Fairways Drive, Burnley.
Around 5 p.m. smoke started coming from the silver Mercedes C-Class Estate and within minutes it had flames coming from it.
Quick-thinking Frank, a retired plumber, immediately pulled over and got himself and his wife out of the car to safety.
As they did so pubgoers outside the Pendle Inn watched in horror as the car blazed in foot high flames.
Frank said: “You don’t expect things like this to happen and it is still a mystery to me.
“We had been out for the day and just got round the bend in Barley when smoke started coming from the back. I thought ‘I need to get help’ and pulled in just past the Pendle Inn. Everything happened so fast we just jumped out and left it there.”
The fire service was called, by which time the car was well ablaze.
One pump from Nelson attended the scene at around 5-20 p.m. and put out the flames.
Owner of the Pendle Inn Joanne Lowcock said: “I’ve never seen anything like it. They were just driving along and smoke was coming out of the car and fumes were filling the air. When they got out they were just in absolute shock.”
Frank added: “A very kind couple took us in and helped us which we were extremely grateful for. It was a beautiful car but if it had been petrol I don’t think we would have been so lucky.”