Burnley accident boy Luke may be home by October

Luke Mason
Luke Mason
Share this article

The parents of Burnley teenager Luke Mason have said they are expecting their brave boy to be home by October – eight months after he suffered serious head injuries in a car accident yards from his home.

Parents Ben and Sarah revealed to the Express that surgeons at specialist children’s hospital Alder Hey have ordered a prosthetic skull from Italy to help his recovery.

It has been a stressful time for us all but we have had a lot of support from friends and family

Dad Ben Mason

But surgeons have also warned Luke’s family the popular 13-year-old Blessed Trinity pupil will never be able to walk again and may not talk again.

Ben said: “Luke is doing okay. He is awake and knows we are there but he cannot talk and may never be able to.

“The doctors have told us he will always have a four limb disability, but we are just relieved he is still with us.

“Luke’s surgeon is from Italy and she has ordered a new type of prosthetic skull because his own was so badly damaged. He suffered horrific injuries in the accident.”

Luke and his family’s life changed forever on the morning of February 11th when he was involved in a collision with a car in Lyndhurst Road, moments after he had bought cereal from a local shop.

His frantic mum Sarah found him trapped underneath the car just yards from their home.

Luke was then airlifted to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool, where he was initially placed in an induced coma.

He has had several operations to ease the pressure on his brain, the latest being an emergency procedure in April after he suffered a bleed.

Luke’s family have since travelled to the hospital nearly every day, with the local community raising funds to help with their costs.

Ben and Sarah, who also have younger children Harlo, Mia, Lillie-Mae and Madison-Lea, admitted it had been difficult juggling family life with hospital visits.

Ben added: “It has been a stressful time for us all but we have had a lot of support from friends and family.

“We don’t go over to the hospital every day now but we try to get over three or four times a week. The doctors have said Luke might be able to come home by September or October, which would be brilliant, but we know there is a long way to go yet.”

Meanwhile, students from Blessed Trinity Roman Catholic College have visited their popular classmate.

School Chaplain Jessica Wilkinson said: “We keep Luke in our prayers every day and members of staff visit him when we can. We are grateful to Luke’s parents for letting us visit Luke.”