Tea lights to blame for Burnley house fire

editorial image

Fire chiefs have highlighted the dangers of tea lights following a fire at a home in Burnley.

Three crews went to a house in Oxford Road after receiving a call at 7-30pm yesterday saying people were trapped inside.

Firefighters searched the three-storey property but found nobody.

The fire was caused by tea lights left burning in the bedroom and crew manager Rick Courtney said: “Smoke alarms were fitted giving the householder early warning of fire. Great care should be taken when using tea lights and candles.”