Street drug dealers are behind bars

Two East Lancashire drug dealers have been sentenced to a combined 10 years in prison after appearing at Burnley Crown Court on Friday.

Naeem Mustafa. (s)
Naeem Mustafa. (s)

Hafiz Ullah (29), of Cobden Street, Burnley, and Naeem Mustafa (37), from Ethersall Road, Nelson, admitted possession with intent to supply heroin. Ullah also admittedconspiracy to supply Class A drugs.

Ullah was jailed for five years three months and Mustafa to four years nine months.

Recorder Abigail Hudson said, although their involvement was “street dealing”, both played “a significant role” in the operation.

Ullah Hafiz.

Mark Blakey (prosecuting) told the court the men were arrested in Wadeshouse Road, Nelson, in November in possession of 33.5 grams of heroin, with a street value of £2,200, split into small bags.

At Mustafa’s home, police discovered £1,000 in cash. The court heard Mustafa was arrested a short time after being released from prison for a similar offence.

The court also heard Ullah had pleaded guilty last November to two counts of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs, heroin and cocaine, between April and June 2011, when he was arrested. He was on bail at the time of the second offence.

Mr Blakey said, on the occasion of the first offence, Ullah was arrested by police in Larch Street, Nelson, carrying cocaine worth £120, and £70 cash.He had a mobile phone and SIM card which Mr Blakey said had “considerable telephone traffic” on it. Mr Blakey said there was 7,000 calls registered and estimated that, at three calls per deal, that would amount to turnover “in excess of £20,000”.


Hide Ad

Defending Mustafa, Timothy Brennand, said there had been an “element of pressure” which led to his client reoffending. On his release from prison, where he failed to kick his habit, he was “approached very quickly” but did not have a “managerial role” in the operation.

Martin Hackett, defending Ullah, asked for as short a sentence as possible and said he was not making “any great financial reward” but was funding his own addiction.

Mr Hackett said Ullah was “not in charge of the operation” but “desperation” in his addiction had led him to continue his offending.