Smoke alarm appeal after teenage boy suffers burns in house blaze

A teenager was taken to hospital with burns to his face after a house fire in Padiham.
A teenager was taken to hospital with burns to his face after a house fire in Padiham.

Smoke and flames from a house fire in Padiham could be seen for miles around yesterday afternoon.

Firefighters from Padiham, Bacup and Hyndburn were called to the property in Green Street when a blaze broke out in an attic bedroom.

Three fire engines raced to the scene and the aerial ladder platform was brought from Accrington to allow crews to access the roof so they could remove tiles to put out the flames.

Firefighters wearing four sets of breathing apparatus used two hosereel jets to extinguish the flames which is believed to have been started after bedding caught fire at around 4-30pm.

A 14-year-old boy was taken to hospital for treatment for burns to his face which are not thought to be serious.

Padiham Watch Manager Alan Ashworth said: "Our colleagues coming over from Accrington could see the smoke from the motorway.

"When we arrived the roof was well alight but fortunately everyone had managed to leave the property."

The property did not have any smoke alarms fitted, prompting an appeal from Watch Manager Ashworth for all householders to make sure their homes are fitted with them.

He said: "People tend to remove them if they start to go off all the time if the battery needs replacing but we cannot stress enough the importance of smoke alarms."

The fire brigade offers a smoke alarm fitting service and anyone who would like more information is asked to ring 0800 1691125.