Schoolboy hero (16) saves man (25) from Burnley blaze

editorial image
Share this article

A SCHOOLBOY has been praised by firefighters for alerting them to a blaze at a house in Burnley – saving a man’s life.

The 25-year-old occupant was rescued and taken to hospital following the drama at 5-50 p.m. on Friday.

Fire crews have hailed the actions of the quick-thinking 16-year-old neighbour who rang 999 when he smelled smoke coming from the house in Albert Street.

As a result of him raising the alarm firefighters were able to drag the unconscious man out of the building and he was taken by ambulance to the Royal Blackburn Hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

The fire started in a chip pan which had been left on the cooker and left the property with smoke damage.