From rocket launches to building robots, a series of workshops and live sessions created a real buzz at Burnley College.
Outstanding A' level and Advanced Vocational students at Burnley College Sixth Form Centre enjoyed a day of exciting activities relating to the STEM subjects – Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.
Experts in their fields brought the subjects to life through a series of workshops and interactive sessions which were aimed to develop students’ knowledge and passion for learning.
Activities on the day included:
* Rocket launching with Starchaser’s Rocket Propulsion Lab science show.
* Building, programming and racing Lego robots.
* Marine Biology seminars from Lancaster University lecturers
* Drug Design seminars from Salford University lecturers
Angela Donovan, Assistant Principal for curriculum and quality at the centre, said: “Our teachers are passionate about their subjects at Burnley College Sixth Form Centre and want to pass on that excitement and sense of discovery to each and every one of our
“The STEM activities day was an ideal opportunity to allow students to widen their knowledge in a fun and interactive way and help them to put the theory they have learned in the classroom into practice with exciting experiments and competitions.
“Last year was a record-breaker for Burnley College Sixth Form Centre in our STEM subjects as students achieved the best-ever results and many went on to study related subjects at some of the UK’s top universities.”
Among last year’s high-achieving students in STEM subjects at Burnley College Sixth Form Centre
* Bethany Hales, of Padiham, is studying Natural Sciences at Leeds University: the former
pupil at St Augustine’s RC High School gained A*, A*, A and B grades In Maths, Further
Maths, Chemistry and Physics A Levels.
* Alfie Woodhouse, from Heptonstall, a former pupil at Calder High School, who is now
reading Chemistry at the University of York, after receiving A*, A*, A* grades in French,
Chemistry and Maths A Levels.
* Delwar Hussain, from Burnley, a former pupil at Sir John Thursby Community College, who
received A*, A* and A grades in Maths, Biology and Physics A Levels, and is reading Physics
at the University of Manchester.
To find out more about courses starting this autumn ring 01282 733322 or email email@example.com