£10,000 Asian jewellery raid: teen locked up

A teenager who joined in a £13,000 burglary at a family home, has been locked up.

Thursday, 9th July 2015, 11:00 am
Burnley Crown Court.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Inam Ul Hassan Khan (19) and an accomplice had targeted a property where a mother lived with her three children. Khan, who was subject to a suspended sentence for assault at the time, was arrested after a window was smashed and he left blood at the scene.

The defendant admitted taking part in a joint enterprise burglary, in which property including Asian jewellery worth £10,000 and electrical items such as PlayStations, Nintendos and computer games, were stolen. He claimed his accomplice took the goods and said he bought back some of the electrical items, but the jewellery had gone.

The defendant, of Peart Street, Burnley, admitted the burglary and was sent to a young offenders’ institution for 18 months. The judge imposed 12 months for the attack on the house and activated six months of the suspended term.

Sign up to our daily Burnley Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Stephen Parker (prosecuting) said the victim went away to visit relatives on February 16th and a family living locally were to check on her property regularly.

On February 19th, she was contacted by her family who said the address has been broken into. Mr Parker continued: “She returned home. A window in the kitchen was smashed and the window having been opened, had blood on it. Items were strewn across her living room floor and the upstairs being, in her words, completely ransacked.”

Scenes of crimes officers attended and Khan was linked to the scene by his blood.

The victim was contacted by her brother-in-law to say a number of the stolen electrical items had been returned, but none of the jewellery.

Mr Parker added: “She doesn’t know the defendant. He was arrested on the strength of the forensic evidence. He was interviewed following that arrest and exercised his right to silence.” In her impact statement, the victim said she was suffering from stress and financial worry as a result of what happened.

Mr Robert Elias, for Khan, said he accepted responsibility for selling some of the items and buying them back.