Petrol smell leads to evacuation

Latest News
Latest News
Share this article

A smell of petrol caused the residents of three houses to evacuate their homes and call the fire brigade.

The smell was noticed in three houses in Carlton Road at 9pm on Sunday, but after a check by the fire service no leak was found.

Crew manager Alan Ashworth said: “ After a thorough check of surrounding land, drains and all properties involved nothing was evident. At some point possibly a small amount of petrol had entered drains and caused the smell in each of the properties due to the configuration of new and old drainage system. Each property was ventilated thoroghly before the occupants could return.”