Padiham fire rescue - TV fault causes blaze

editorial image
Share this article

A BLAZE which left a Padiham woman fighting for her life was caused by a fault in her television, fire investigators say

Margaret Jackson (50) was dramatically rescued from her home in Windermere Road by firefighters after she was overcome by smoke on Sunday night.

The 50-year-old was taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital where she remains in a critical but stable condition.

Investigators believe the TV had been left on standby when Mrs Jackson went to bed before an electrical fault sparked the blaze which destroyed her home.

It was also found that batteries had been removed from the smoke alarm in the semi-detached property.

John Taylor, of Lancashire Fire and Rescue, said: “We believe the fire started in the TV set while she was asleep upstairs. It was left on standby and not switched off which can be a hazard. Batteries had been taken out of the smoke alarm so she did not have the benefit of an early warning and smoke poured upstairs and knocked her unconscious.”

He urged people to follow simple safety advice and switch off electrical appliances at the plug, ensure smoke alarms are working, close all internal doors and rehearse a fire escape plan in case of emergency.

People can book a free home fire safety visit to offer advice and free smoke alarm fitting by calling 0800 169 1125.