Padiham bypass £100,00 supercar smash: man in court

A car courier who crashed a £100,000 supercar in Fence and fled the scene of the accident which left two drivers injured, has been spared jail.

Tuesday, 3rd December 2013, 3:06 pm
Damaged car

Waqas Hussain Shah (30) smashed the powerful Audi R8 into a car as it pulled out of Greenhead Lane onto the Barrowford/Padiham Bypass.

The luxury roadster then ploughed into another on-coming car heading from the Padiham direction on August 19th around 7-20am.

Victims Tracey Connor and Peter Johnson were injured in the crash and a Fiat 500 flipped onto its roof and a Toyota Corolla was also damaged.

Scene of the smash

Shah then failed to stop and left the scene of the accident without reporting the incident to the police, the court heard.

It was not until several hours later that the defendant contacted police to say he had been involved in the smash.

The defendant, of Manor Street, Nelson, pleaded guilty to failing to stop after a road accident and driving a vehicle without due care and attention, before Burnley Magistrates’ Court.

Parveen Akhtar (prosecuting) said the speed the Audi was travelling could not be determined but she said it was clear Shah was driving “quite fast”.

She said one of the victim’s vehicles had been struck around 25m down from the junction.

Magistrates said: “It was quite a serious accident where other people were injured.

“After the accident you attempted to abdicate your responsibilities to the accident by running off.

“You must have had a suspicion that the accident had actually caused injuries to a third party and you still cleared off.”

David Lawson (defending) said his client accepted he was driving around 50mph at the time of the crash.

He said his client had not paid sufficient care and attention to the car pulling out of Greenhead Lane.

Mr Lawson said Shah had made a foolish decision by leaving the scene and not paying attention to what might have happened to the other drivers.

He said the defendant would lose his job as a courier driver if he was banned from driving.

He added: “He is the only driver in the household and he takes his terminally ill dad to and from appointments.”

The defendant was given a 12-month community order with supervision and ordered to carry out 200 hours unpaid.

He was banned from driving for six months and hit with fines totalling £330.