Overdose kills man in Towneley Park tent

Towneley Hall
Towneley Hall
Share this article

A DRUG addict who was living in a tent in Burnley’s Towneley Park died from an accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol.

Mr Shane Flynn (42) of no fixed abode, died on June 15th last year after taking a large amount of heroin, as well as drinking several cans of super strength lager, methadone and diazepam, an inquest at Burnley Coroner’s Court heard.

East Lancashire Coroner Mr Richard Taylor read out a written statement from Mr Adrian Harrington who was with Mr Flynn at the time of his death.

The pair, both recovering heroin addicts, had met at a hostel in Harrogate. He revealed that Mr Flynn had been told to move out of his house two days previously, which had made him feel down.

The pair later drank numerous cans of strong lager and also injected heroin before Mr Harrington saw his friend collapse. He called 999 and tried to revive him but to no avail.

In another statement, Rachel Taylor of Inspire, a substance misuse service in Burnley, said that Mr Flynn had recently detoxified from methadone.

Pathologist Dr Walid Salman, who conducted the post-mortem examination, said toxicological tests had revealed the cause of death to be heroin toxicity exacerbated by alcohol, methadone and diazepam.

In recording an accidental death verdict, Mr Taylor said: “Sadly, Mr Flynn had a number of difficulties that he was trying to sort out but had succumbed again to heroin. It is likely that his tolerance to heroin had reduced. He had no idea it would prove fatal.”