It’s back in time to 1958 this week with a splendid photographic view of Colne’s magnificent District Bank which stood at the top of Colne Lane for many decades.
This noble building was originally built as the “Manchester and County Bank” during the late 1890s.
It became the District Bank circa 1925.
The stone and granite bank had many superbly carved finials (of which three still survive) and a huge copper-covered dome, which when the sun shone down, would glow a warm, reddy colour.
Inside the palatial bank (telephone number 125) were counters and desks made from the finest African hardwoods fitted out with brass and copper inlays with art-deco styling.
By the mid-1950s, the south side of Church Street was being knocked to the ground and as the “Swinging Sixties” beckoned the once proud District Bank had gone forever.