Booths recipe for incredibly easy to make Lancashire cheese straws
and live on Freeview channel 276
The closure of the restaurants, hotels, pubs and cafes they’d usually supply due to the current coronavirus crisis has had a huge impact on their business, so Booths is trying to do its part to keep these fantastic artisan producers going. Booths is particularly keen to help local cheese producers, so here’s a recipe using that local produce.
This week’s recipe uses the county’s own Lancashire cheese to create a snack that’s perfect for the picnic or for keeping hunger pangs at bay at a summer barbecue – and it’s incredibly easy to make.
Lancashire cheese straws
350g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
1 medium free-range egg
150g Lancashire cheese, grated
1tsp cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7.
2. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
3. Unroll the pastry and brush all over with beaten egg. Sprinkle with cheese and cayenne pepper.
4. Cut into 1cm thick strips and lay on the prepared baking trays.
5. Bake for 12 minutes until puffed up and golden.
These will keep in an airtight container for up to two days.