Ten reasons you know you are from Burnley ... there are many more, let us know!
1. You remember where the huge fountain and outdoor escalators were situated
2. You met your husband/wife/partner in the Cat’s Whiskers, Angels, Pananma Joe’s, Zanzibar
3. You love Bene and hot and know the story behind why it’s so popular
4. Jimmy McIlroy is, to you, a living legend
5. The term LongSider makes you smile
6. You know what people are referring to when they say ‘The Jewel in Burnley’s Crown’
7. You went to a high school called Habergahm, Ivy Bank, Gawthorpe etc
8. You remember that the upstairs at Benn’s toy shop was a treasure trove
9. You know the town’s link to the hit TV series ‘Shameless’
10. You recall a time when the Burnley Building Society released its own song
And if you need the answers:
1. The Market Square was home to the outdoor escaltors and fountain which drew children in the 1970s. The round cafe is on the spot now
2. These were iconic night spots that would be packed to the rafters
3. The town is the biggest consumer of the tipple after becoming popular among soldiers who developed a taste for it during the First World War and drank it to keep warm.
4. Probably the greatest Clarets player of all time
5. The LongSide was the stand at Turf Moor beloved of fans that was replaced by the James Hargreaves Stand
6. It’s Towneley Hall
7. They were former secondary schools demolished during the Building Schools for the Future scheme
8. The toy shop stood at the corner of St James’s Street, near the bus station for years until it closed in 2006
9. Acclaimed writer Paul Abbott, who penned the hit series, was born and brought up in Burnley and the show is loosely based on his family
10. The Burnley Building Society and Provincial Building Society merged in 1984 to become National & Provincial Building Society.