A NELSON mother who died after taking a lethal cocktail of prescription drugs and heroin was "crying out for help", an inquest heard.
Nicola Thomas (35), who had a history of depression and overdosing, was admitted to the Royal Blackburn Hospital in December after taking too many of the prescription drugs she took to treat her illness, Burnley Coroner's Court heard.
Just hours after doctors discharged her, the mother of two was found dead on a sofa by partner Jill Fennessey at their Castle Street home, the inquest was told.
Miss Thomas's family said although they knew she took prescription medication, they found it hard to believe Nicola had taken heroin, as she was against illegal drugs and even alcohol.
But Dr Walid Salman, who conducted the post mortem examination, said toxicology tests showed she had taken heroin shortly before she died.
He told the court that, although Miss Thomas may not have been a regular user, heroin was the catalyst in her death, along with various anti-depressants, sleeping pills and anti-psychotic drugs she had taken.
Her family told the court the overdoses had been a cry for help, but once in hospital Nicola never wanted to stay.
East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying he did not believe Miss Thomas had any intention of ending her life.
He told the family: "You paint me a picture of a young girl who was troubled and had problems coming to terms with the illness she was suffering and the medication she was on. She wanted some things but not others, and finding the perfect solution for her had proved impossible."