Man taken to hospital following flat fire

Fire in Accrington Road
Fire in Accrington Road

A man was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in an upstairs flat in Burnley this morning.

The 21-year-old man had managed to exit the flat in Accrington Road when firefighters arrived at the scene at 5-30am. He was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Watch manager Steve Harrison said: “The initial call was of persons reported trapped but when we arrived this didn’t turn out to be the case.

“The blaze was well alight when the two fire appliances arrived and firefighters had to break in at the front to gain access.

“We used four breathing apparatus, a hose reel and a fan to clear the smoke.”

Paul Johnson (41) was making his way to work at Alfie’s Butty Shop at 6-30am when he spotted the blaze and managed to get a photograph.

He said: “I saw lots of blue lights and then all the smoke coming from the roof.

“The flat was next to the Codfather fish and chip shop. Part of Accrington Road was closed so I had to take a detour. I’m just glad no-one was seriously injured.”