Jail for naked crazed Burnley knifeman who bit off girlfriend’s nose

A CRAZED knifeman who bit off his girlfriend’s nose before attacking armed police will serve a minimum of seven years in jail.

Monday, 2nd January 2012, 7:46 am

Robert Mackenzie Wilson (39) tore off mum-of-three Jane Ireland’s nose with his teeth in an attack at her home in Hapton Street, Padiham, in July last year.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Wilson, of Selkirk Street, Burnley, who had been released on lifetime licence for stabbing a former partner and two neighbours in 2003, fled naked into the woods armed with a large kitchen knife.

During an eight-hour manhunt which put Simonstone on lockdown, Wilson held a terrified woman at knife-point before stealing clothes and her car.

Armed police spotted him near a primary school when Wilson charged at them with a blade in a “suicide by cop” bid. He was shot twice with a 50,000 volt police Taser, which had no effect on him, before being arrested.

Sentencing, Judge Jonathon Gibson described Wilson as “a plainly dangerous offender” who must serve at least seven years before he is considered for parole.

He pleaded guilty at earlier hearings to wounding with intent, carrying an offensive weapon, aggravated burglary and assault with intent to resist arrest.

The court heard how Ms Ireland, who is still in a relationship with Wilson, awoke in bed with the defendant’s fingers down her throat. She said she felt “excruciating pain” as Wilson bit off most of her nose.

Ms Ireland’s 14-year-old daughter found her lying on the floor covered in blood and described the scene like something from a horror movie.

The pair fled the property as Wilson came out naked into the street looking for them with a carving knife. He then ran off into nearby woodland.

The following day he entered a house in Bank Terrace, Simonstone, and threatened the owner with a knife and demanded her car keys.

Wilson jumped into the car and tried to drive off but crashed into a wall before coming back into the house to steal some of the woman’s clothes.

Armed police with dogs swarmed the area looking for Wilson who was believed to be hiding in fields.

But the defendant was spotted in Clough Lane behind St Peter’s Primary School brandishing the blade.

Officers told him to drop the weapon, but Wilson shouted “come on” and charged at them making the noise of a police siren. The court was told Wilson wanted armed officers to shoot him dead.

He was shot twice with a 50,000 volt police Taser but it had no effect.

Wilson tried to knife the officer during a face-to-face struggle on the ground, before he was arrested. The officer was not seriously hurt.

His victim, Ms Ireland, needed a year-long course of surgery to reconstruct her nose. The severed nose was recovered at the scene but could not be re-attached so doctors used skin from her forehead.

The court heard Ms Ireland, who had been in a four-month relationship with Wilson after he was released from jail following three woundings in 2003, was still with the defendant.

Gillian Crossley (defending) said Ms Ireland continued to visit Wilson in prison and was “supportive of him”.

Ms Crossley added Wilson needed help rather than punishment.