I'm lucky to be alive says student who fell from roof

Student Kieron Simpson admits he is '˜a miracle' after recovering from a fall which almost took his life just three months ago.

Friday, 7th October 2016, 9:22 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 3:46 pm
Lucky to be alive: Keiron Simpson

The Shuttleworth College pupil was playing ‘tracking’ – like tig – with friends at the disused Habergham High School one evening in June.

He fell 20 foot off a roof, was rushed to Manchester Children’s Hospital and his parents were told to prepare for the worst.

However, apart from a slight deafness, the 15-year-old has fully recovered and has returned to the Padiham school, ready for his GCSE’s and is back playing sport again.

“I can remember being with my friends outside the building and then I woke up in hospital four days later and that’s all,” said Kieron.

“Tracking is running around trying to catch people. My friends said they just saw me on the floor, rushed over to me, some were crying and they were panicking as I wasn’t moving. One of them put me in the recovery position.

“They called an ambulance and I was rushed to hospital but I just remember waking up in hospital wondering why I was there four days later and being in shock.”

Keiron’s injuries were extensive and he was in a critical condition so much so his parents, Julie and Dave, were told he may not survive the night.

“I suffered a fractured skull, broken ribs, three cracked vertebrae, a hole in my lung, a shattered kidney and I do not know the rest,” he said.

“To be honest though, when I came around, I then spent two weeks in hospital and everything healed itself. It’s unbelievable really.

“I didn’t need any operations. My back hurt and that was hard as there was a lot of sitting around and resting, I couldn’t walk for long periods for a while.

“And the doctors kept telling me I was ‘very lucky’ and that I was a miracle and I know I am.

“I got an England football shirt from school and a lot of cards which I was surprised by.

“I spent the summer recovering – and catching up on school work as I missed a month.

“I couldn’t do a lot physically and I actually missed school. I was happy to come back in September and happy to see everyone. Some of my friends were crying when I came back as I think we all know how close I had come to not being there.”

Kieron, who hopes to get top GCSE results, admits he is partially deaf in one ear and has had an MR scan to see if it’s calcium or bone which could result in an operation but he isn’t worried about it.

“Compared to everything else, I have been lucky. I don’t know how my body healed so quickly.”

He is back hoping to get in the school football team and running and he admits he has learned his lesson.

“I don’t like heights and I haven’t been back to the site of the accident since,” added Kieron. “I have read the stories back in the newspapers and I can’t believe it’s me and how shocking it was.

“My parents were devastated and I just can’t imagine how they felt and I don’t want to put them through that again.”

Shuttleworth Head Teacher Ruth England was full of praise for Kieron’s powers of recovery.

“After such a potentially tragic incident a whole school community is left shocked,” said Mrs England.

“For Kieron to have made such a miraculous recovery is absolutely wonderful. He was back doing homework and catching up within a matter of weeks.

“We are holding a series of fundraisers this school year for Manchester Children’s Hospital as they helped Kieron make such a swift recovery.”