Honeymoon shark victim’s funeral at church where he married

THE funeral of Ian Redmond, killed by a shark while on honeymoon, will take place next week at the same church where he was married less than three weeks ago.

Friday, 26th August 2011, 10:27 am

Nelson man Mr Redmond’s funeral will be held at St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Dalton, near Wigan, and will be conducted by the Rev. Tim Barton who married the couple on August 6th.

IT worker Mr Redmond (30), who grew up in Deerstone Road, Nelson, had been snorkelling off Anse Lazio beach on the island of Praslin in the Seychelles, feet from the shore.

In an emotional statement, Ian’s new wife Gemma (27), who had witnessed the incident said: “I could see the top of his snorkel as he had a bright orange band around it so I could always follow where he was. And, all of a sudden, I heard this ‘Help’. And then I heard it again – I heard ‘Help’ and the most awful scream. I can still hear it when I close my eyes.”

Sign up to our daily Burnley Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Primary school teacher Gemma said she had asked a receptionist if there were sharks and was told: “No, not in the Seychelles, the Seychelles are very safe waters.”

The couple had been married 10 days earlier near the bride’s family home in Dalton and had decided to take the trip to see the “beautiful” island.

Through Facebook his brother Paul wrote: “A heartfelt thank you to everyone for your kind support and thoughts at this time. It is very much appreciated by both families and close friends. Take this chance to tell all those around you how much you love them.”

The French surgeon who tried to save Mr Redmond after he was mauled by the killer shark has told of his battle to keep the newly-wed alive. Holidaymaker Christian Renaud, who was on a catamaran 20 yards from where Mr Redmond was attacked, pulled him aboard and brought him ashore where he desperately tried to resuscitate him.

“He was still alive but in shock through the violence of the impact,” Mr Renaud told a French newspaper. “We got oxygen bottles from a divers’ boat and gave him adrenaline. But he lost too much blood. I lost him.”

The attack was the second of its kind to claim a life in a matter of weeks. Earlier this month, a 36-year-old French tourist was killed by a shark in the same area.

Mr Renaud said he had not been warned the Frenchman had been killed and accused the authorities of negligence.

A team of shark experts from the US had told him the creature was almost certainly a Great White.

A memorial service was held last Friday where 200 locals held a prayer vigil on the beach for Mr Redmond and Nicolas Virolle.

Mr Redmond’s inquest will be open and adjourned at Chorley Coroner’s Court. A date is yet to be set.