NHS treated my sick wife appallingly

Upset and angry: Mr and Mrs Mario Parenti
Upset and angry: Mr and Mrs Mario Parenti
Share this article

A loving husband is furious about the way his elderly sick wife has been treated by the NHS.

86-year-old Mrs Mary Ann Parenti has been repeatedly discharged from hospital in her nightie, her essential medicines were left in her locker drawer and, on the last occasion, she endured a cold six hour journey before she reached home.

Mrs Parenti’s nightmare experience began when she developed pneumonia in early October, and since then she has been a patient at the Royal Blackburn Hospital three times.

Her husband Mario (81), who is blind, says he is appalled. “Their mistakes make it very hard work, and we can do without it,” he said. “These things should never have happened. It’s just not good enough.”

“Mary has been in hospital three times, and every time they have sent her home after tea, and just in her nightie. They discharged her but she is still not better.”

Mrs Parenti was first admitted on October 7th and discharged four days later, on the 11th, after being given steroids.

Her health did not improve, it worsened. She became confused and her face swelled, and on October 26th she was admitted again. She was discharged on the 30th, but had to be readmitted on November 4th. She was sent home the following day.

The couple, who have been married for 31 years, try to do as much as they can for themselves, so Mrs Parenti asked if she could have an ambulance for the trip back to her home in Belvedere Road, Burnley, rather than again troubling their family.

Said Mr Parenti: “Mary was sent home in the ambulance late at night and didn’t arrive home until 10 o’clock.

“She’s 86, and I feel it was far too late to send her, and she was very cold on arriving home. It was a long journey. We rang at 5-30pm and they said she had set off at 3-30. She said she waited for an hour for somebody else to get on the ambulance.”

Former miner Mr Parenti said he was upset that while his wife had been in the care of the hospital she had, on occasions, not been washed and her blood pressure and osteoporosis medicines, along with her glasses, remained in her locker when she was discharged. She was only able to get them back after her son-in-law, Stephen, drove to the hospital to retrieve them.

Tracey Barnes, Matron at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “The care and safety of our patients is our overriding priority. We are sorry that Ms Parenti didn’t receive the expected standard of discharge that we would normally expect all our patients to receive.

“We have not been contacted by the family or had any issues raised with us, we would therefore encourage the family to raise any concerns directly with us in order for us to respond to them and resolve any of the problems.”