A BURNLEY man died from the toxic effects of three drugs.
Mr Alan Newton (52) was found dead at home in Brennand Street, Duke Bar, on May 24th. An inquest at Burnley Coroner’s Court heard he had been an alcoholic and hard drug user for years.
The inquest was told Mr Newton suffered from liver problems, hepatitis C and liver cancer.
In a written statement, his friend Lee Taylor, who found him dead, said Mr Newton would drink every day, take one or two bags of heroin a day and smoke cocaine.
Mr Taylor had taken a cup of Horlicks into his friend who complained of stomach problems and feeling unwell. He later found him slumped in bed unresponsive.
Pathologist Dr Abdul Al-Dawoud, who conducted the post-mortem examination, said Mr Newton had cirrhosis of the liver, a tumour in his liver, inflammation of his heart and bronchial pneumonia.
He also found therapeutic traces of prescription drugs including diazepam. There was cocaine in his urine as well as methadone and morphine in his system.
He said: “The cause of death was the combined toxic effects of the morphine, methadone and diazepam.”
East Lancashire Coroner Mr Richard Taylor recorded a verdict of accidental death.