Have your say on Burnley bus service cuts

Burnley Bus Station
Burnley Bus Station
Share this article

BURNLEY people are being urged to have their say on plans to cut bus services which are currently being subsidised by Lancashire County Council.

In 2008, in partnership with Pendle Borough Council, the county council secured £550,000 funding over five years for the Service 95 Pendle Green Line which operates between Colne, Marsden Park, Nelson, Lower Manor, and Burnley town centre.

With funding coming to an end in March this year, council chiefs are looking at the Pendle Green Line and other routes to see where savings can be made. County Hall bosses said they would have to pay £110,000 a year to maintain the current level of service.

Under proposals drawn up by the authority, Service 3, which travels between Clifton Farm, Burnley town centre, Healey Wood and Rosehill, will be withdrawn and replaced by Service 95, which will cover parts of Nelson and Colne as well as Harle Syke and Healey Wood and Rosehill, and Service 65, which will operate between Burnley Clifton Farm estate and Nelson via Burnley town centre, Rosehill, Rossendale Road Industrial Estate, Rosegrove, Padiham, Higham, Fence and Lomeshaye village.

County Hall bosses say Service 65 will run every hour in each direction on a Monday to Saturday daytime basis between Burnley Clifton Farm and Nelson with additional journeys at peak times while Service 95 will also run every hour Monday to Saturday daytime combining to half-hourly over the more used sections of the route, between Colne town centre and Nelson town centre.

Also under review is the 94 Nelson to Brierfield Circular service which, under the plans, will be split into two sections. The route between Nelson and Cravendale Avenue will be renumbered Service 93, while Service 94 will operate a circular service between Nelson and Brierfield, serving Chatburn Park and Mansfield Grove.

Consultation events have taken place at Burnley, Nelson and Colne Libraries and anyone who wants to have their say can contact the county council via the website www.lancashire.gov.uk