Firework sparks Burnley kitchen blaze

editorial image
Share this article

Firefighters in Burnley have issued a warning about the use of fireworks after one set a kitchen extension ablaze.

Crews were called to a house in Coal Clough Lane at 9-35pm last night by the occupants who discovered a fire in the roof void of the single-storey extension.

Firefighters spent 90 minutes at the scene and used ladders, hose reel jets and a thermal imaging camera to put out the flames and stop them spreading.

Acting watch manager Dave Robinson said the cause of the fire is being linked to a firework which had been set off 10 minutes earlier.

He said: “When using fireworks always follow the firework code.

“Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary.

“There are different categories of fireworks. Members of the public can buy and set off most of the fireworks that come under categories one to three.

“These are fireworks that include those that you can use indoors, in your garden or at a display. Always read the packet carefully and make sure that the fireworks you buy are suitable for the place where you are going to set them off.”