BURNLEY firefighters were called to a flat in Westgate last night after a plastic container left on a cooker set alight.
Watch manager Steve Harrison said someone had tried to put out the flames by throwing water onto the cooker, causing the fire to flare up.
When crews arrived the fire was out but the flat was filled with black smoke. Firefighters used a ventilation unit to get rid of the smoke and warned people against tackling fires themselves.
Watch manager Harrison said: “If you are not sure how to put out the fire, don’t do anything. Shut the door, leave it and call us.”