Fire crews tackle kitchen blaze

editorial image
Share this article

FIRE broke out at a Burnley house last night after the occupant left a chip pan on the hob and food cooking under the grill and went out.

Firefighters were called to the property in Holly Street, Fulledge, around 9-10pm by neighbours who reported smoke coming into their home from next door.

Believing the occupant, a 29-year-old man, was inside, crews forced their way in and put out the blaze but, after a search, they found he had gone out. A dog left in the house was unharmed.

Watch manager Neil Ashworth, from Burnley fire station, said: “We don’t know exactly what’s happened. It looks like he was half way through making his meal and then left.”

The kitchen of the house was severely damaged by fire and there was smoke damage to the rest of the property.