Fire crews tackle Burnley house blaze

Gannow Lane fire. Photo: Andy Woodhouse
Gannow Lane fire. Photo: Andy Woodhouse
Share this article

Fire crews raced to Gannow last night after reports of a person trapped in a burning house.

Two pumps from Burnley and one from Nelson were called to the property in Gannow Lane at 10pm.

Thick smoke was billowing from the windows when crews arrived but firefighters found nobody inside after searching the property.

One occupant, who made it out after being warned by a smoke alarm, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Crew manager Rick Courtney said: “Smoke alarms save lives, You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.

“There was moderate fire and smoke damage to the property.”